Congresswoman Frederica Wilson

Representing the 24th District of Florida


U.S. Passport Service

Passports are obtained through the Passport Services Division of the Department of State. If you have had trouble securing services regarding passport issues, my office may be able to help. Please contact my Miami-Dade district office at 305-690-5905, as well as submit a completed Privacy Act Consent Form.

Passport Application Status Tool
It is easy to check the status of your passport application using this web tool.

Expiration Dates:
Passports for adults expire in 10 years but minors’ passports expire in 5 years. Please check with your carrier or with the foreign Embassy if you have six or fewer months remaining on your passport as you may be denied entry with fewer than six months.

Passports in a Hurry:
Passports usually take from 30 to 40 days to issue. For an additional $60 fee -- plus the cost of 2-way overnight mail -- you can "expedite" this process and receive your passport in 7-10 business days. If a serious emergency occurs that requires you to receive your passport within 24 to 48 hours my office may be able to help if you contact my Miami-Dade district office at 305-690-5905. You can find more information from the State Department website.

Traveling Overseas
You've got your passport and you're ready to go on your trip, right? Not quite. You still have to check with the country or countries you'll be visiting to determine whether or not you'll need a visa. A visa is permission from a country to cross their borders and comes in the form of a page inserted in your U.S. Passport.  You usually have to mail your passport to the Embassy or Consulate of the country you'll be visiting, so allow plenty of time to accomplish this.

Also, check the State Department website for travel warnings and consular information sheets that provide helpful information about the country you plan on visiting. The State Department services website also contains very comprehensive information on all the services it provides both stateside and abroad. This includes crisis assistance for U.S. Citizens living or traveling abroad and various travel publications available on-line.

State Department - Visas

Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed. The State Department can help answer questions about traveling abroad. Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with this agency:

I will be traveling to the Middle East next month. How can I find out if it is safe for me to go?

With the situation in the Middle East changing on a daily basis, you should check with the State Department to find out the most current public information available before traveling to the region.

Find out detailed, updated information on travel warnings and public information

I will be going abroad this summer with my family. Will we need certain vaccinations?

Many countries require travelers to get vaccines against certain diseases.

Find out if your travel plans require a vaccination

I will be traveling to several countries this summer. I've got a passport, but are there any other entry requirements that I need to be aware of?

Every country's entry requirements can be different. You should inquire about entry visas for each country you will be visiting.

Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs has information on entry requirements