Home page


Congresswoman Frederica Wilson

Representing the 24th District of Florida

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

February 28, 2012

Dear Friend,

Was your household income less than $49,078 in 2011? If you answered “yes” to this question, you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

The EITC is a special credit to boost the incomes of working families. Each year, the EITC lifts over six million workers out of poverty by reducing the amount of income tax owed and providing up to $5,751 cash back, when the EITC exceeds the amount owed.

To receive this credit, you must meet the eligibility requirements and file a tax return. Visit www.irs.gov/eitc or refer to IRS Publication #596 for more information. The EITC will not affect eligibility for welfare benefits such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, Social Security Income (SSI), food stamps or low-income housing.

If you need help filing your income tax forms or claiming tax credits such as the EITC, visit www.irs.gov or call 1-800-906-9887 to ask about Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs near you.

Many residents of the 17th Congressional District of Florida may qualify for the EITC. Typically, four out of five people who claim the credit will get it. I hope that all of you who qualify take advantage of this valuable credit and the resources available to help with your tax preparation.

You could be eligible for more money from the IRS!

If your family earned less than $49,078 last year, you may qualify for nearly $6,000 cash back from the IRS through the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). You can qualify for the EITC even if you had no federal income tax withheld, owe no taxes or are not required to file, but you must claim the credit to get it.

Earned Less Than

Qualifying Children

Maximum Credit or Cash Back

$43,998 ($49,078 married filing jointly)



$40,964 ($46,044 married filing jointly)



$36,052 ($41,132 married filing jointly)



$13,660 ($18,740 married filing jointly)



“Qualifying Children” can include your kids and other dependents such as grandchildren, students, and disabled adults who lived with you for at least 6 months. Eligibility is based on several factorsUse IRS’s online EITC Assistant atwww.irs.gov/eitc to see if you qualify. (A Spanish version is also available.)

Remember, if you are eligible, you must file a federal income tax return and you must specifically claim the credit to get it.You earned it. Now file and claim it to get it.

Free Tax Return Preparation Assistance

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free help for taxpayers who qualify.

Trained volunteers can help with special credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. Most sites also offer free electronic filing (e-filing) for faster refunds.

  • To locate the nearest VITA site, call 1-800-906-9887.
  • To locate the nearest TCE site, call 1-888-227-7669 or visit www.aarp.org.




Frederica S. Wilson

Congresswoman, 17th District of Florida